Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, August 22, 2011

Enchanted with White Ironstone


In my earlier days as a mere newbie blog voyeur, I was visiting Cindy over at My Romantic Home and she was sharing her collection of ironstone on Faded Charms' White Wednesday blog party. So anywho, I was dumbstruck and in awe. At that moment I finally had a name to some of my great-grandmother's china. I just knew that they were white or cream in color and were a bit heavier than some of her other china. Now I had a name to what this type of pottery was called. Then to see how Cindy had it all displayed so fabulously in one place made me, of course, want more. So immediately I started to add on to my great-grandmother Helen's wonderful collection. Let's look at a few of the pieces I have collected and cherished.
During the early 19th century, a new type of stoneware was introduced in England by the Staffordshire potters. These folks were looking for a cheaper way to mass produce pottery that sort of looked like porcelain, but, well, wasn't. What they ended up with was a product that was a durable stoneware. 
Ironstone is also known as stoneware, graniteware, tea leaf and a host of other names. With its clay body, this type of china is generally opaque as opposed to translucent like porcelain. There are several fabulous manufacturers of ironstone such as Mason, Spode, Delph, and few others. My two favorites are Staffordshire (Liberty Blue Ironstone) and Red Cliff. When it comes to white ironstone my favorite is Red Cliff. This beautiful tureen, with embossed grapes is a Red Cliff piece. I really took a fancy to the raised grapes. 
 Look closely and you will see the embossed grapes. 
Red Cliff ironstone china dinnerware adds so much elegance to a table.
 I chose the salad plates with the embossed grapes for the dining room table. 
Speaking of grapes, I placed them inside a two-sided ironstone gravy boat on the dining room table. I get more use out of the piece as a place to hold healthy snacks than as an actual gravy boat. The only time actual gravy goes in this piece is at Thanksgiving time. As they say "A minute on the lips and life time on the hips." 
I had heard of the many adventures of people finding china, especially ironstone, at thrift stores. Much to my surprise, I walked into Goodwill one day and there she was...waiting for me to pick her up and take her home for $2.00. She doesn't have her lid but I use her two ways. Beautiful flowers look so pretty inside at the breakfast table. I don't use her as a coffee pot (since she doesn't have a lid). Instead I use her as a tall teapot. I put hot water inside and serve a mean cup of tea. 
I can't believe someone donated that ironstone coffee pot to the Goodwill. Behind the pot and the chinese tea cup is a rectangular ironstone tray that ways a ton. I love to serve appetizers on that tray.
White ironstone comes in a myriad of shades of creamy white and I love them all. The teacup-for-one is a creamier shade of white than the soup tureen on the right. The small tray holding the rainier cherries is a much whiter white. They look wonderful in front of the Italian clay pottery pieces.
Thank you for taking a sneak peak at a few of my favorite pieces of ironstone! Stick around and I may show you my Staffordshire Liberty Blue ironstone collection one day.

Come back next week for a super cool giveaway of one the porcelain pitchers with raised roses featured on our blog post Ebony and Ivory.  


This week we are partying with the following fabulous folks:

DebbieDoo's Newbie Party @ DebbieDoo's
It's Party Time @ It's So Very Cheri
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle
Sunday Blog Love @ Cherished Treasures 
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogieboard Cottage
Table Top Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life
Wow us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Time to Shine @ A Diamond in the Stuff
Inspired by you Wednesdays @ Eisy Morgan
Anything Goes @ Type A
White Wednesday @Faded Charm
Transformation Thursday@The Shabby Creek Cottage
Time Travel Thursday @ The Brambleberry Cottage
Pearls and Lace Thursday @ Faith, Grace, & Crafts
Open House Party @ On Sutton Place
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Primp Your Stuff Wednesday @ Primp
Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Fridays Unfolded @ Stuff and Nonsense
Farmhouse Friday @ LaurieAnna's Vintage Home
Before Blogging Throwback Thursdays @ Sugar & Spice in the land of Balls & Sticks

52 comments:

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

What a beautiful collection... I love white ironstone, and yours is gorgeous. Great buy on the coffee pot too, I know it looks beautiful with fresh flowers in it, what a wonderful way to use it! Have a wonderful week!
hugs~~ Daphne

Scrappy Pink Corner said...

You have a beautiful collection, or lets rephrase that, beautiful collections. You have alittle bit of everything. Where did you manage to store all of these collections. Unbelieveable. Love them all. Thanks for sharing.

Maggie said...

White ironstone has a classic look that we all love and they can be mixed and matched to create wonderful vignettes, just like yours!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Gorgeous ironstone!! I am sort of a collector too, although I don't have many vintage pieces. I am always looking for new/old white ironstone.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love your ironstone collection especially the two sided gravy boat. Now I will be looking for one.

Decor & Harmony said...

Simply beautiful and classic! I think I may have to crossover to a more traditional setting. Thanks for sharing.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I love ironstone too (as I love all things white). You have some very special pieces and display and use them in a lovely way :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Paula! Oh, such pretties! I love seeing all of your pretty collection and how you've arranged everything. Haven't we all been inspired by Cindy? :)
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

jeanne said...

Thank you for your email, I have been crazy busy with 18 days of company and the last of them left this morning. Sigh! I can visit my blogging friends again at last. I am happy to see you are going strong and loving it!!!

I too love the ironstone of old and new. I am always on the hunt to find a piece but I do not have a lot to share. Why don't you host an ironstone blog party. There are a lot of us who would join in. You know so much about ironstone. Just thinking! Your photos are so pretty and artistic.

Have a wonderful day.
Hugs, Jeanne

Melissa said...

I LOVE Ironstone!!!!!!!!!!! It's one of my favorite things! I have been finding it like crazy at Goodwill and Salvation Army for as little as $.30! Sometimes I can't believe what people give away. But I'm ok with it, because then it ends up in my house. :) Beautiful post!

Ooooo and I love Jeanne's idea of hosting an Ironstone blog party! How fun!

Our Hopeful Home said...

I just started collecting ironstone (much to my husband's dismay!) It's quite addicting I'll admit. My favories are the soup tureens. I've even bought them without the spoons in the hopes of coming across some spoons later. Have you ever done that? That "tea pot" is most definitely a Club G.W. find! The party will be up tonight so don't forget to stop by!

Have a lovely day.

xoxo
Kathleen

Karen said...

You have a beautiful collection of Ironstone. I'm always on the lookout for white Ironstone, its so pretty and looks great mixed with other pieces.

Diann said...

I love ironstone. I have a pretty good collection of pieces. I display all my large ironstone tureens on a shelf over a doorwall & a window in the living room. Your pieces are wonderful!

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

Your two sided gravy boat is my favorite piece! So versatile and unique...I see why you use it all the time. I would, too. It's so pretty.

Debbie said...

I love white ironstone, too. There is very little else that gives that perfect balance of casual elegance, IMO. Your collection (both old and new) is wonderful. My favorite piece is that wonderful two sided gravy boat. Loved it with the grapes because, well... you're right about the hips. Ha!

lvroftiques said...

Oh Paula I'm squealing with delight over seeing your ironstone collection!!
You see I'm an ironstone-O-holic too! I even have a few of the same pieces you do *winks*
I love how ironstone was used every day. The older well used chippy around the edges pieces grab hold of my heart every time! Thank you so much for sharing yet another of your beautiful collections......Sheesh I'm just a little green *winks* Vanna

Blessed Serendipity said...

You have a nice collection of ironstone. I think that white ironstone will always be a classic.

Danielle

Debbie--http://refreshrestyle.com/ said...

I'm a little jealous of all your ironstone! You lucky girl! I have found a couple saucers at Goodwill :)
Love your stuff!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Beautiful pieces, and beautifully displayed. Ironstone is timeless and can fit in any decor. I have some large platters I found a long time ago. You have a great collection.

Debbiedoos said...

Tonight must be the night of ironstone. It looks so beautiful! And you staged your photos so nicely too. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party. Could you add my link or button? Thanks.

VintageGramma said...

Ab FAB! I can't believe they donated that pot either! I've picked up some treasures at Goodwill too! Great collection and displayed so well as always.

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

What a great post! Elegant and dreamy.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

At The Picket Fence said...

You have an absolutely wonderful collection and have arranged it so beautifully! I loved the history of the ironstone too and that little tureen was just gorgeous!
Vanessa

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What a beautiful collection, I don't recall my grandmother having any, I'm going to have to find out about that.. I love ironstone, have just started a collection of the platters and pitchers, needless to say it's taking over various places in my home... great post... hugs ~lynne~

Janet said...

I love white ironstone and I'm always on the lookout for it, too!
Blessings,
Janet

Brandi said...

Gorgeous pieces! You have a wonderful collection. You have them displayed beautifully.

AntiqueChase said...

O love Ironstone.... you got so lucky to find that teapot for $2

Anonymous said...

I love all your ironstone!! I collect it too. It looks beautiful mixed with your silver platter.Gorgeous.

Kathy

butiksofie said...

Hi, the ceramic is very beautiful, hughs Anja

Lovey said...

Beautiful!!! Love that napkin holder btw!

Anonymous said...

Your ironstone is gorgeous and I especially love it against the backdrop of your colorful pottery pieces! Just beautiful.

Blondie's Journal said...

You have a wonderful collection of ironstone and I really love the coffee pot you have shown with the Chinese teacup. Very pretty!

I have a few pieces and am always on the search for more. Now, if I had more room to display it!!

Visiting from TTT. You both have a lovely blog!!

XO,
Janie

Bonnie said...

Great collection. Very nice.

Sonny G said...

Love your ironston Paula.. I have the same teapot~! your vignette is beautiful..

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

Paula, I love your ironstone. So wonderful it started w/ your grandmother, makes it all the more special. I keep my eye peeled for white ironstone in thrift stores. Never heard of the Red Cliff but will be sure to find it now, it is beautiful!

Miss Gracie's House said...

Ironstone is the best...I do am just starting to collect the more primitive pieces...you have some very pretty pieces!
Rene

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

You have a lovely collection!

Cindy said...

Your collection is very nice, all white is just so beautiful!
Hugs, Cindy

laxsupermom said...

What a beautiful collection of ironstone! I'm an ironstone junkie, too. I love how you brought home that coffeepot, even without the lid. It looks beautiful displayed. Thanks for sharing.

I'm hosting my monthly Before Blogging Throwback Thursdays party, and would love for you to come show off something you bought, did, or created Before Blogging. Can't wait to see what you bring to the party.

Doni said...

Oh how pretty! Doesn't white just make you feel pretty? It goes with everything, makes a clean statement, and just has a way of being everyone's favorite!
I love your collection. Thanks so much for sharing it with us for Pearls and Lace Thursday!!!
And by the way, I love my Liberty Blue too!! Can't wait to see yours!
Blessings, Doni

Savannah Granny said...

So beautiful! You have a great collection and you have displayed them to perfection. Hugs, Ginger

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Thanks for linking up this gorgeous collection to Open House Party!

Mary @ Redo 101 said...

Love your ironstone and so glad that you inherited some from your grandmother - what treasures! Thanks for sharing the beauty.

Hugs,
Mary

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Certain things draw you in....and ironstone is one of those things for me. What a lovely collection!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Oh my goodness, you have some lovely pieces! I really like the Italian pottery, too!
:) CAS

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

What beautiful pieces! I can see why you love the tureen, it is gorgeous!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Pretty pretty pieces~ love your collection!! Whites are always so pretty and charming to collect! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

Elsie said...

Love your white ironstone. I am so glad you were able to get some of your grandmother's. I also collect white ironstone and its fun to look for.

The Charm of Home said...

Beautiful collection! Thanks for linking it to Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Nayana said...

beautiful collections and 2 sided gravy boat is so cute...

The Vintage Chateau said...

I love white ironstone too and can't get enough of it! I recently found the same Red Cliff tureen, isn't it gorgeous? Thanks for sharing,
Karee

Tanya Anurag said...

I adore you collections. The painting in the third picture is beautiful.

Thanks for linking up at Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner and adding to the fun.

The party for this week is going on... hope to see you there again :)

http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/09/tea-time-thursdays-5-and-features.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Ivy and Elephants
Gratitude is the Memory of the Heart ~ French Proverb ~ We are so grateful that you stopped by ~ Please visit again soon! ~ Much Love, Patricia and Paula