Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Summer Fare Faves

What's It Wednesday #180

Summer has come and pretty much gone, especially for those of us ready to send our kids back-to-school.

This summer I put forth every effort to eat well. As my kids indulged in cheese toast on Jamaican Hard-dough bread, I took advantage of the delicious fruit that was in season and available. 

I had fun with new breakfast dishes as well. Making these baked egg white and spinach mini-omelletes in a muffin pan  was a huge hit with the family. Super simple and delicious.

When it comes to cauliflower, a good Indian recipe guarantees my kids will ask for seconds and thirds. Aloo Gobi  (Potato and Cauliflower Masala) is a family favorite. 


My mother-in-law taught me how to make my husband's favorite roti. Aloo Paratha is a flat bread with seasoned potatoes in the center. I have substituted the refined white grounded grains for whole wheat flour. 


Bhindi is the best way I can get the little ones to eat okra and eat it with gusto. 


We aren't big meat eaters so we tend to eat quite a bit of beans and lentils for protein. Black beans are one of our favorites so this black bean and corn salad was a big hit.


On the occasions when we had chicken we tend to throw it on a salad and always throw in fruit that is season. Fresh mango or papaya is usually the go to fruit. 

I love edamame. I could eat it every single day. So making it at home is the perfect snack.

Speaking of snacks, the kids get a kick out of making Kale chips. It disappears in less than five minutes.
  

Kale and spinach are my go-to greens for my morning smoothies. Adding pear puts the smooth in smoothies.

I love red quinoa and I love couscous so mixing them together was the perfect treat. This summer I was introduced to a grain I knew nothing about. Farro is now one of my new delicious go to grains. I absolutely love the nutty flavor of Farro. So this salad with red quinoa, couscous and faro with cucumbers, orange peppers and red onions was absolutely delicious. 

This summer I was able to balance quite a bit of beans and lentils with some of my favorite fruits. 

What were some of your Summer Fare Faves?

xoxoxo
Paula

hanks to all of you who partied with us last week. Please link up and join us again. Remember, it's not a party without you!

Here Are This Week's Features:

Hoopla Palooza

Vintage Cottage Style

Fabi Fabu

Lavender Dreams

Down Sprigg Lane

My Thrift Store Addiction


Don't Forget to Add a Feature Button!
Ivy and Elephants


We are partying with these fine folks:

26 comments:

Antiques And Teacups said...

I LOVE roti and aloo paratha! Yummm!!!! Everything looks tasty and I love your features. Thanks for hosting and have a great week!
Ruth

Thelma said...

I am surprised to be no. 1 in the party this week. It's the first time this has happened to me. Thanks for hosting a great party.
The bhindi looks delicious. Great dishes..also great features this week.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Thank you for Whats It Wednesday 180. I think the hope of cooler weather and fall helps get through the hot spells. Love the photos of the wonderful food you served your family, I got some good ideas from your pictures.

Tante Mali said...

Oh, Roti !! How wonderful. Have to make it!
Thank you for bringing it back to me.
Happy days
Elisabeth

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Your kids are so cute! I've tried those kale chips but I'm afraid they weren't my fave - good for your kids eating healthy! Looks like you've been cooking lots of delicious food this summer. Thanks for hosting this terrific party!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Thanks for hosting Paula. Everything not only looks delicious but pretty too. You do a great job of photographing food, something I haven't managed yet..Happy Wednesday..Judy

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Thank you so much for the feature, Paula! It's so nice to see all the great ideas - thank you for hosting such a fun party:) Your summer meals look so healthy and delicious. Summer went by so fast....xo Karen

Mimi said...

Thankyou Paula, and I'm loving the features. The little greenhouse is to die for! Have a great week. Love, Mimi xxx

Deanies Stash said...

Paula, the food all looks so delicious. You are teaching your children great eating habits. Thank you for the party!

Hugs,
Dianne

Linda said...

Morning Paula,

Love kale chips! Everything you made looks delicious.

Thanks for hosting and see you again next week.

Linda

Gail @Purple Hues and Me said...

I love any type of breakfast that features egg whites and spinach! Your mini omelets look so delicious! Thanks for the yummy party, Paula!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Paula,
You have some very tasty looking food here. Thanks for reminding me about Kale chips, I made them once and my lil grandaughter loved them, so maybe I will try them again as she is in
that stage where it is hard to get her to eat anything. So maybe if she helps me makes them
she will feel like eating them as well.........you can always hope!! lol

Your children looked like they were enjoying their kale chips!!

Thanks for hosting this fun party,
Blessings for back to school days,
Nellie

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, these dishes look so delicious, Paula. Yes, summer is approaching the end, and today I saw the first school buses, and couldn't believe school has started already! It seems that it gets earlier every year. Your kids look sweet in these pictures, and I will forever remember those school days when my kids were young with fond memories.

Have a blessed day.

~Sheri

Home Chic Club said...

Paula, the food all looks so delicious!! Thanks for the party!
Hugs,
Vesna

White Lace and Promises said...

The plates look yummy but the kiddos are cuter. What fun!

Vintage Paint and more... said...

Thank you so much for hosting. Have a wonderful week. Cathy

Carol @ The Red Painted Cottage said...

Thank you for hosting this party!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Thank you for hosting and for sharing your summer faves! I'll have to try some of them! Enjoy your weekend,
Jillian

Dee said...

Oh wow, all of your meals look so healthy and incredibly delicious. If I had a fork, I would just dive right in. Have a lovely weekend... :)

My thrift store addiction said...

I finally made it and how fun to see I'm featured--thank you! Your summer food looks wonderful. My grocery store has a quinoa couscous mix that is wonderful! Thanks for the party!

ileana-carmen said...

Hello! Thank you for hosting us and for this party.

Lisa@hooplapalooza said...

oh WOW! thanks so much for featuring my pretzel pencils! what a great way to end a day! :>D have an awesome rest of the week!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I think that you have eaten super healthy! Hubby and I have tried to do better, but we eat way too much meat. I planted Kale and have hardly used it. Hubby doesn't care for it. I guess I need to make smoothies. I have lots of frozen fruit in my freezer. Thanks for sharing with SYC. Happy to be joining your sweet party this week.
hugs,
jann

Cheryl said...

Thank you so much for the feature Patti!! You made my day!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Thank you ....thank you....thank you!!! I am so honored to have my doll, Zeta featured! What fun I've had making doll clothes this summer! Sweet hugs, Diane

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion said...

Those are some very sexy legs I love the girly room.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Ivy and Elephants
Gratitude is the Memory of the Heart ~ French Proverb ~ We are so grateful that you stopped by ~ Please visit again soon! ~ Much Love, Patricia and Paula